Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why won't you come over here?

I think people want to immigrate to America because, as our national anthem says, it's the land of the free and the home of the brave. America has long been proclaimed the land of opportunity. Whether or not the U.S. holds true to the hype is subjective, but if you're living in an impoverished country and you've heard America is the place to prosper, wouldn't you want to go? America has also been tagged as a nation of freedom and equality, so theres a feeling that if you immigrated you would be excepted here, after all the United States was built by immigrants. With all these well versed compliments for the United States all it would take is an unmet need in the place you are now, and moving to America would seem like a marvelous idea.

part deux

Whether or not I would pack up and leave my home for a new country for freedom or finances is kind of hard to answer. Poverty can take away your freedom better than most things and freedom doesn't always mean prosperity and/or security. Because of this I think it would have to be a combination of both, freedom and the ability to prosper. Freedom without money or money without freedom? It'd be hard to live either way. I think if I had to choose though, I would choose freedom over money, because in the end that's what I think is more important.

2 comments:

carrie said...

Wonderful response that would make anyone want to pack up and move here!!

Missing second response for this post.

As is you earned 10/20 points because you've only published half of what I'm looking for. Please let me know when you make the necessary additions. (Accepted, not excepted :))

carrie said...

Much better. Sorry about the confusion.

20/20 points.